About this event
Area of Interest: Project Management
This course introduces attendees to the underlying principles and practice of managing project cost management and budget. It covers the body of knowledge needed for effective management of projects addressing techniques for project cost management, budgeting and financial analysis; progress reporting and project control such as earned value management (EVM).
The course includes a number of practical exercises to reinforce attendees’ understanding of the relevant concepts and techniques and to allow application of the gained knowledge to real-life projects. The exercises are conducted as a combination of tutorials and activities that step through the various activities, focusing on budgeting management, financial and project control. The course is ideally suited to those who are new to project budgeting and control methods; no prior knowledge or experience is assumed.
- Project Cost Management: Financial Analysis | Cost Benefit Analysis | Cost estimating | Cost baseline | Budgeting | Cost control
- Project Budgeting Exercise: An exercise focussed on project cost management, development of cost baseline and project budget.
- Project Control : Earned value management (EVM)
- Project Control Exercise : An exercise to reinforce project control techniques such as EVM.
- Project Financial Analysis and Project Selection : Financial Analysis (NPV, IRR, ROI, Payback analysis, etc.) | Weighted Scoring Model
- Project Financial Analysis Exercise : An exercise to reinforce financial analysis for project selection techniques such as NPV, IRR, ROI, Payback analysis, etc.
At the completion of this course, participants shall be able to:
- Know various techniques for project cost management and budgeting
- Analyse the financial aspects of projects and develop a time-phased project budget.
- Analyse and control the progress of the project over time
Who should attend
Ideal for: Anyone requiring an understanding of project management, including, but not exclusive to:
- Project and program managers
- Sustainment and acquisition project managers
- Aspiring project managers
- Cost analysts
- Schedule analysts
- Systems engineers
- Technical staff
- Logistic managers
- Capability development staff
- Infrastructure Planners
- Capability managers
- Contract/Procurement managers
- Engineering managers
- Business managers
- Procurement officers
Dr Alireza Abbasi is Coordinator of Project Management programs at UNSW Canberra. He also holds a graduate certificate in University Learning and Teaching from UNSW. His research and teaching interests include project management, management science, information systems management and network science. He has written a book, three book chapters and over 80 technical journal and conference papers.
Dr Abbasi has had several appointments and been involved in different projects in IT/Software, Oil, Education and R&D sectors. He is an active member of several professional bodies including Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM), Project Management Institute (PMI), and Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM).